Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Date of Birth:||September 10, 1957|
|Birth Place:||Geneva, Switzerland|
Kate was born in Switzerland but raised in Manhattan after her famous parents, Richard Burton & Sybil Williams divorced. Her step-father is actor Jordan Christopher.
She attended Brown University in Rhode Island intending to have a diplomatic career majoring in European History & Russian Studies; but in her senior year she was swayed by her acting heritage to start a career in acting. She went on to earn her MFA at the Yale University School of Drama. She was given an honorary doctorate from Brown University.
She met her husband, Artistic Director, Michael Ritchie while she was making her Broadway debut in "Present Laughter" in 1982; he was the stage manager. They married in 1984; and have two children, Morgan Ritchie and Charlotte Ritchie.
She has an autistic sister, Jessica, and a half-sister, Amy Christopher, from mother's marriage to actor Jordan Christopher.
She's best known for her role as the mother of Ellen Pompeo on Shonda Rhimes' hit TV medical drama Grey's Anatomy (2005), although Kate is only 12 years older than Ellen. Co-starred with her father, Richard Burton in the critically-received CBS miniseries Ellis Island (1984).
Nominations & Awards
- Nomination: In 2002 she was nominated for two Tony Awards: as Best Actress for a Play portraying the title character in a revival of Henrik Isben's "Hedda Gabler," and as Best Actress for a Featured Role in a Play for a revival of "The Elephant Man". This made her only one of three actors (the others are Amanda Plummer and Dana Ivey) to be Tony-nominated for two acting awards in the same year.
- Nomination: In 2005 was nominated for a Tony Award for Actress in a Drama for her role in The Constant Wife.
- Has retained her British citizenship, yet she considers herself an American actress.
- Was a classmate with Jane Kaczmarek, Malcolm in the Middle.
- Her father, Richard Burton, died shortly after the two co-starred in the CBS miniseries Ellis Island (1984).
- One of her two former step-mothers was the famous Elizabeth Taylor.
- Appeared opposite fellow Scandal co-star Tony Goldwyn in the 1993 TV Movie Love Matters.
- → See and enjoy 12 pictures of Kate Burton at Images of Kate Burton.
Click on any or all of the links below to view more information about Kate Burton and a full filmography.