Gregg Lee Henry studied acting at the University of Seattle. Right after graduating from college, he moved to Los Angeles, California to pursue an acting career. He played in a band for three to four months and worked as an apprentice at the Old Globe theater in San Diego prior to getting his first television acting gig.
Outside of his film and television work, he has acted on stage; he has won thirteen Drama Logue Awards, an L.A. Weekly Award, and the Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Award for his stage work. Besides acting, Gregg is also a professional singer, songwriter (Dwight Yoakam recorded a single of his song The Back of Your Hand), and pianist who has recorded several albums. He is a good friend of fellow actor and musician Bruce Greenwood.
Gregg lives in Los Angeles, California with his wife Lisa James; she is a noted director for the American Theater who Gregg has collaborated with on various stage productions as both an actor and producer.
Gregg is a theatre, film, and television character actor; as well as a rock, blues and country musician.
He has appeared in many made-for-TV movies, with his supremely chilling and convincing portrayal of the infamous Dennis Rader in The Hunt for the BTK Killer (2005) (TV) rating as a definite crowning achievement in this particular medium.
TV Recurring RolesEdit
- Rico on Bunheads (2012)
- Henry Dobbs on White Collar (2012)
- Richard Wendell on Breakout Kings (2011-2012)
- Alex Harris on NCIS: Los Angeles (2011)
- Mike on Hung (2009-2011)
- Hugh Panetta on The Riches (2007-2008)
- Mitchum Huntzberger on Gilmore Girls (2005-2007)
- Clay Burgess on Eyes (2005-2007)
- Jonathan Wallace on 24 (2003)
- Detective McGill on Boston Public (2001-2002)
- Michael Holt on Family Law (1999-2001)
- Weldon Lewis on Reasonable Doubts (1992-1993)
TV Guest RolesEdit
- Ian Covey on Burn Notice (2011)
- Mitchell Eaves on Harry's Law (2011)
- Roger Cavanaugh on CSI: Miami (2010)
- Coach Swanson on Medium (2010)
- Dr. Gracie on Grey's Anatomy (2010)
- Russel Fabray on Glee (2009)
- Winston Wellesley on Castle (2009)
- Pete Fox on Numb3rs (2009)
- Cal Trask on The Mentalist (2008)
- Officer Mark Downey on ER (2008)
- William Preston on CSI: Miami (2006)
- Zho'Kaan on Star Trek: Enterprise (2003)
- Sheriff Bourne on Firefly (2002)
- Special Agent Rick Culpepper on CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2001)
- Peter Morgan on The Pretender (1996)
- Captain Reed on JAG (1995)
- Reid Stedler on Walker, Texas Ranger (1994)
- Jonathan Morton on Cagney & Lacey (1988)
- William Keyes on Magnum, P.I. (1987)
- Lambert in Any Day Now (2012)
- Willis in The Reunion (2011)
- Detective John Felkner in Super (2010)
- Pete Lukins in The Black Dahlia (2006)
- Colonel Robert Marr in United 93 (2006)
- Jack MacReady in Slither (2006)
- Dennis Rader in The Hunt for the BTK Killer (TV Movie) (2005)
- Lt. Russ Carter in Heartless (TV Movie) (2005)
- Conrad in Sin (2003)
- Val Resnick as Payback (1999)
- Gallatin in Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)
- Sam Bouchard in Body Double (1984)
- His well-known trade mark is having a deep gravelly voice.
- Gregg has previously appeared in a film, Sin (2003) with the shows Leading lady, Kerry Washington.
- He is best known for his critically acclaimed performance as serial killer Dennis Rader in the made-for-television movie The Hunt for the BTK Killer (2005), and for playing various "heavies" in various films, such as in Payback (1999) and Brian De Palma's Body Double (1984).
- Has acted in several films for Brian De Palma.
- In 2009 He raped a 25 year old lady.