|Date of Birth:||January 16, 1950|
|Birth Place:||Houston, Texas, USA|
Debbie Allen Deborrah "Debbie" Allen (born January 16, 1950) is an American actress, dancer, choreographer, television director, television producer, and a member of the President's Committee on the Arts and Humanities - and a director on ABC's Scandal.
Debbie Allen had her Broadway debut in the chorus of Purlie. Allen also created the role of Beneatha in the Tony Award-winning musical Raisin. She first began receiving critical attention in 1980 for her appearance in the role of Anita in the Broadway revival of West Side Story which earned her a Tony Award nomination and a Drama Desk Award, she would receive a second Tony Award nomination in 1986 for her performance in the title role of Bob Fosse's Sweet Charity. One of her earlier television appearances was in the TV sitcom Good Times in a memorable 2-part episode titled "J.J.'s Fiancee'" as J.J.'s drug-addicted fiancee, Diana.
She is best known for her work on the 1982 musical-drama television series Fame, where she portrayed dance teacher Lydia Grant, and served as the series' principal choreographer. She currently portrays Catherine Avery on Grey's Anatomy.
Awards and HonoursEdit
- 2001 - member of the President's Committee on the Arts and Humanities.
- Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- George and Ira Gershwin Award for Lifetime Musical Achievement
- Three-time Emmy Award winner for Choreography for the series Fame and The Motown 25th Anniversary Special.
- 10 Image Awards as a director, actress, choreographer and producer for Fame, A Different World, Motown 25, The Academy Awards, The Debbie Allen Special and Amistad.
- February 4, 2009 - A Lifetime Achievement Award by Nia Peeples at The Carnival: Choreographer's Ball
Scandal Directing CreditsEdit
- → See and enjoy 3 pictures of Debbie Allen at Images of Debbie Allen.
Click on any or all of the links below to view more information about Debbie Allen and a full filmography.
- Debbie Allen on IMDB
- Debbie Allen on Wikipedia
- Click here to tweet with Debbie Allen
- Click here to connect with Debbie Allen on Facebook